Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Why You'll No Longer Find Scissors at the Hansen Home...

On days like these, I'm grateful to have a family blog. Rather than screaming or crying at these moments, I collect myself enough to grab my camera, recognizing that one day I will be laughing at this. And by posting such entries on my blog, all of you can enjoy a good laugh. I'm not at the laughing point yet.

I should have learned my lesson last March, when Maddie gave Kennedy her first unintentional haircut with Dad's razor. I really should have learned the lesson last month when Maddie gave her sister her first intentional haircut with the scissors she retrieved from their former spot, the kitchen drawer.

I did learn that the scissors should no longer be so easily accessible, and I found a good hiding spot for them. Unfortunately, I forgot to put them away today. I left them on the bathroom counter.

Here is what I discovered when I went to check on Maddie's unreasonably long potty break:






Her beautiful dark curls scattered on the floor and in the trashcan! She chopped several inches off each side of her hair, and it looked even worse when I took out the ponytails. I discovered a little patch she cut much closer to the scalp with only two inches of hair still attached. I wanted to cry since it took us four years to get her hair so long and full. She was as bald as Kennedy when she was that age, and we didn't even know she had curly hair until she was 2 1/2 years old. In a matter of five minutes, two years worth of hair was gone.

Maddie explained that she wanted to have short hair like Kennedy. She also wants to be a "haircutter" like her Aunt Aujelle and tells me so all the time. I obviously told her she CANNOT cut hair, and she got a long, LONG timeout in her bedroom while I tried to figure out what to do. Luckily her Aunt Aujelle came to the rescue. Here's what she looks like now:


\



It's a good thing she is so cute, or I don't know what I'd do with her...

10 comments:

Cory & Alli said...

That is too funny! I can't believe that girl! Auj did a great job though! It's really cute, and totally "in" right now! She's stylish, like her mom! You should take a picture of your twinner haircuts!

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa said...

Let me try this one more time. I can't believe she did it again! She must really know her calling in life. But I have to say that I love her hair short - very cute. Good job, by the way, for not swearing.

Jessica said...

It is sad when they hair when you want it long, but her bob is way adorable. Kudos Aujelle!

Melanie said...

She looks way cute, Amanda! I am so sorry you had to go through this! And I can't believe how long her hair was! (I haven't seen her in person for two years!)

Holly said...

sad!!!! oh, that's so sad. i know what it's like when curls are cut, and it's a sad day (esp. when they do it themselves!). but she DOES look adorable now. and it will grow back. :)

Iris said...

LOL LOL...the patience of a mother is great =) On the bright side, it's really cute

Jared and Holly said...

Oh you must have felt sick! The haircut sure looks adorable though.

Growinguptogether said...

Hope you're enjoying the snow, my kids are loving it.I’ve been going back and forth on whether or not I should go private with our family blog. I’ve decided to instead follow my friend’s blog where she has code names for her family. I am slowly going to convert my blog over to this, starting with changing the address from Ryan’s full name to www.growinuptogether.blogspot.com sorry for the inconvenience to ya’ll. Vicky

Growinguptogether said...

Hey whatz up at the Hansen house, I've missed your post for a while.